Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bananas Foster

YUM! This is one of those recipes that I've been meaning to try forever. I first had bananas foster two years ago in Belize and loved it. Ever since then, I've been meaning to try it at home and just never got around to it. I definitely should not have waited this long!



There are several different variations of this online. The recipe that I used can be found here at allrecipes.com. The recipe is pretty simple and comes together pretty quickly. The sauce was a little bit thin. I did let the mixture boil for about a minute or so before I added the bananas in hopes that it would thicken a little bit more. In the future, I may cook it just a little longer to get more of a caramel texture to the sauce. I would also recommend to let it cool for a few minutes (I know this is hard!) so that you have an actual ice cream topping and not ice cream soup :-) This should also help with the thickness of the sauce. Enjoy! I know we did!!




Bananas Foster
1/4 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
3-1/2 Tbsp. rum (we used coconut rum)
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise and crosswise
1/4 c. chopped walnuts (left out)
vanilla ice cream


In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar, rum, vanilla, and cinnamon. When mixture begins to bubble, stir in bananas and walnuts. Cook until bananas are hot, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately over vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo....I bet that is delicious! The coconut rum sounds perfect with this! Bananas Foster is something I've never tried, but it sounds like so much fun. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...I could see myself using the Bananas Foster to top ice cream, waffles, pancakes, cake.... Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails