Sunday, July 19, 2009

July Cookie Carnival: Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze

I'm not going to lie. This was NOT the recipe that I had voted for this month's Cookie Carnival. The oatmeal coconut raspberry bars are definately more my style. I never would have picked these cookies out on my own, but I am SO GLAD that they won. They are light and fresh with a perfect balance of sweetness from the glaze, and got rave review from both my husband and my coworkers. The recipe can be found here from Giada De Laurentiis.

Before this recipe, I had never worked with ricotta cheese. I knew that it was occasionally used in lasagna recipes, but I had always used cottage cheese myself. I researched these cookies online a little before I made them. They seem to be on a lot of blogs right now! A couple reviews said that they subbed low-fat ricotta cheese for the full-fat version without any issues, so I decided to do the same.
These cookies came together fairly smoothly. I did not have any problems with the dough or the first couple pans. I ran out of pans after the first two batches of cookies, so I put the dough in the refrigerator while the cookies were cooling. The cookies that I baked after I took it back out of the refrigerator seemed to spread a little more on the pan, but that was my goof.



Next time I make them, I will make a couple of changes to the glaze. First, I had to add a couple more tablespoons of powdered sugar so that the glaze would not entirely run off the cookies. Secondly, I would double the glaze recipe because I ran out before I was able to frost all the cookies. I made a little more with just the powdered sugar and lemon juice but did not have any extra lemons for the zest. Eh... the cookies still got eaten and praised without it so great pick fellow Cookie Carnivalers =-)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails