Thursday, September 3, 2009

Low-Fat Applesauce Banana Bread

This is probably going to be a quick post because it's finally the end of the week, and I'm exhausted! Still getting back in the swing of this whole school thing again... 
If you are like me, you probably could have a whole recipe file of banana bread recipes.  This is one that I keep coming back to time and time again. It is lower fat, but I can't really tell you that I notice a difference between it and other full-fat versions that I have made. If nothing else, you can at least feel a little less guilty for eating it =-)
It is loosely based this banana bread recipe from allrecipes.com, but I've made enough changes to it that I don't think the recipes can be considered one and the same. This time I threw in approximately 1/4 c. frozen raspberries because they had been chillin' in our freezer for a couple of months. Both my husband and I really enjoyed the addition of the raspberries, so I think I may have to try it again with a little bit larger quanity next time.
I also like to sprinkle a cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the dough before it is baked. It gives the finished loaf just a little bit of extra crunch on top (and that is my favorite part)!
Low-Fat Applesauce Banana Bread
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. unsweetend applesauce
2 egg whites
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
cinnamon-sugar mixture
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add egg whites, bananas, vanilla, and applesauce. Stir until just moistened. Do not overmix. Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top the loaf.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and let cool completely.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails