Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cinnamon and Molasses Granola


The test is done! Woo hoo! I am so glad that I can finally relax a little more and enjoy an evening at home with the hubby! This is a granola recipe that I found here on allrecipes.com. I like this recipe because it uses things that you typically have around the house. So many granola recipes call for flaxseed and wheat germ. I just can't justify buying something that is farily expensive like that for only 1 recipe that I might make once and awhile. I'll stick with my oats. In addition to that, I also am not the biggest fan of nuts in my food, so this recipe was right up my alley.


The original recipe also calls for raisins. I left them out for personal preference (I'm sounding farily picky...) but have substituted dried cranberries with great success. This is definately more of a "crumbly" type granola. There aren't any large chunks in the finished product. I have played with the proportions of sauce to oats a little bit, and I suppose you could up the sauce:oat ratio more if you like more chunks in your granola. As is, this one works for us. The hubby likes to use it as an ice cream topping, and I like it in my yogurt as well as plain. It makes a pretty good study food for brain power :-) Enjoy!


Cinnamon and Molasses Granola
4 c. oats (I've used both old-fashioned and quick oats)
1 c. sweetened, shredded coconut
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. canola oil
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. raisins or dried cranberries (optional)

In a large bowl, combine oats and coconut. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, oil, honey, and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread in a shallow baking pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until coconut looks toasted. Cool. Add raisins or dried cranberries if desired. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails