Monday, January 4, 2010

Macaroon Kisses


Finally the post for the cookies that everyone has been asking me about. I originally picked this recipe out from tasteofhome.com because my husband LOVES coconut. They looked like something that would be right down his alley, and they would also add something different to our traditional Christmas cookie spread.

Fast forward several exams, a rushed trip home, and a snow storm later, I was making these cookies in my mom's kitchen with the kisses and coconut that I had shoved in my purse on the way out the door. I was THAT determined to make them. Thankfully, they turned out to be worth the extra effort. My brother, dad, and husband were gobbling them down as fast as I made them!



I'm not entirely sure why the cookies are called "macaroons." The ingredient list more closely resembles a traditional cookie recipe, and the recipe calls for an egg yolk rather than egg whites. Anyway... if you like coconut, these are great. Even hot out of the oven (when my dad likes cookies the best). Speaking of that, mine did need several minutes out of the oven to set up. The cookies are quite crumbly while warm. That and the chocolate kisses will get soft, but nothing a few mintues out in the garage in this weather won't fix (it was -13 degrees F when we woke up this morning)!!!  Enjoy!



Macaroon Kisses - Adapted from Taste of Home
1/3 c. butter, softened
3 oz. 1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. almond extract
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
5 cups flaked coconut, divided
48 milk chocolate kisses

In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 3 cups coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (I skipped this).

Roll into 1-inch balls and roll in the remaining coconut. Place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten balls of dough slightly with fingers.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediate press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Cool on pan for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is softened. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails