Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 

The rotation that my husband is currently on for school is near our hometown. I went back "home" to visit him their the other weekend rather than him always driving back to see me. While we were there, my mother made this soup for us for dinner one night. 

For me, soup is one of those things that is good year-around. However, I particularly crave it when it's cold outside. Especially the heartier soups. I realized after devouring this at my mom's that I had almost all the ingredients at home so on the menu it went.  There are about a million recipes out there for chicken tortilla soup, so mom and I went through and picked out our favorite ingredients from each one to make it our own. It is quite a forgiving recipe. If you like this vs. that, switch and swap. It won't hurt a thing.


While you can cook this soup on the stovetop, both my mother and I cooked it in the crockpot. It's so nice to be able to add all the ingredients in the morning and come home to dinner that is not only ready to eat but making the house smell amazing as well. Enjoy!


Chicken Tortilla Soup
From Karen Smolik (mom)

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced 
4-5 green onions, sliced 
1 jar canned tomatoes from garden with juice (swap in 28oz crushed or diced tomatoes)
3-1/2 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 c. frozen corn kernals
1 (4oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jar (28oz) black bean and white corn salsa
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 heaping tsp. chili powder
1 heaping tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin

Combine ingredients in a 4-qt crockpot. Cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. May garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado, and shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails