Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lemon Raspberry Bars


You'll have to excuse the pictures for these bars. They really don't do them justice. This was the other recipe that I took to the 4th of July barbecue, and I wasn't able to take pictures of them until we got back home. Luckily, I still had three (LITTLE) pieces left to make somewhat of a photo.

I saw these bars on Two Peas and Their Pod and knew that they would be perfect for summer. Maria has much better pictures on her blog, so head over there if you want to see what the bars really should look like :-) The rest of her blog is also great so check it out!

The crust of these got a little moist sometime through the course of the barbecue. I'm guessing this had to do with coming in and out of the fridge throughout the day? It wasn't a big deal and didn't affect the taste at all. 

Looks aside, these bars were great! My mom occasionally makes this pink lemonade dessert that I love. The ingredients are completely different, but the flavors are similar enough to make these the raspberry lemonade version. Another plus. These bars are simple. Ridiculously simple. The only thing I would change is to use the graham cracker crumble only on the bottom. I had some trouble pressing it up the sides of the pan, and I ended up liking the middle pieces much better anyway. I'll post the recipe below as it was written, so you can choose to change it or not based on your preference.

 
So if you've got an event coming up this weekend or you're just a lemonade lover, try these bars out! I'm in agreement with Maria - you'll be the star of the show =) 

(Printable Recipe)

Lemon Raspberry Bars
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
For the crust:
1-1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
zest of 1 lemon

For the filling:
2 large egg yolks
1 (14oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
6 oz. fresh raspberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and lemon zest. Stir until well combined and all the graham cracker crumbs are moist. Press the crumbs into the prepared pan, pressing the mixture one inch up the side of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Once the crust is cool, combine the egg yolks and condensed milk until well mixed. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Stir until the mixture begins to slightly thicken. Gently fold in the raspberries being careful not to break them to avoid pink bars. Pour the lemon raspberry filling evenly over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until just set. Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Cut into the bars and serve. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love the flavors of lemon and raspberries together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! I just made these on Friday as well. Adam and I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just send me that crust please, yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious and you surely combined some great flavors! I'm new here and will return for sure to see what's cooking! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails