Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chipotle, Lime, White Bean and Corn Quinoa Salad


Unfortunately, I'm finding myself in that area where I've worked down through most of my saved blog posts, and I find myself saving the ones that I do have so that I don't run through them all in a couple of days. Right now, I am gratefully staying in the same place for a couple of months, so I'm hoping that maybe I'll be able to work in a little bit more cooking because things have been a little sparse around here lately in both my cooking group posts and just regular blog posts =)

Ever since first trying quinoa early this summer, I seem to be on a quinoa kick. I've made these stuffed-peppers several times as well as this stir-fry, and I think I may be obsessed with finding new ways to use it. Fortunately or unfortunately, I can't take any credit for this salad. The recipe comes from Jenny at Picky Palate. I've got tons of recipes bookmarked from her site. She comes up with some pretty creative and delicious looking recipes! In addition to that, my husband actually made this for himself for some easy lunches while in Arizona (he actually stopped to take the pictures too so that I could put it up on the blog). You can't take it from me, but he says it's pretty good.


So, if you're still in the hunt for a salad to take to those Labor Day Weekend barbecues, give this one a try. You may just be the catalyst that causes someone else to find a new obsession =)

(Printable Recipe)

Chipotle, Lime, White Bean, and Corn Quinoa Salad
From Picky Palate

Ingredients:
1 c. uncooked quinoa
1 c. water or low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt with parsley
1 tsp. adobe sauce (from can of chipotle peppers)
1-1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 can (14 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 chipotle peppers, chopped
1/2 c. red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 c. green onions chopped (the green parts)

Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa in a small saucepan with either the water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and set aside uncovered.

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, salt, garlic salt, and adobo sauce. Pour into quinoa and mix in the corn, beans, cilantro, chipotle peppers, bell pepper and green onions. Cover and chill until serving.
  

Note: This is pretty spicy as written. Cut back on the chipolte peppers and adobo sauce if you like things a little more mild.

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Love the colors! I posted a quinoa salad today, too!

    Stop by and link this up to our end of summer BlogBBQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks amazing. I love all the flavors in this dish. I am on a quinoa-kick myself lately. Just made a crustless quinoa quiche tonight... will post about it soon over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delish! great combination of flavors. i love picky palate too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails