Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oatmeal Scotchies


Ever have a rough or disappointing day and all you want to do is go home and bake? Some people may want to have a glass of wine or head to bed early. Me? There is something about baking a batch of cookies that is a little bit therapeutic. It's not just eating the finished product. Somewhere in between creaming the butter and sugar and pulling that last batch out of the oven, I always feel a little bit better.

Today was one of those days. My rotation for school this month was a research project with one of the professors at the college. I was really, really hoping that I could work really hard on it, get done early, and spend a week or so visiting my husband. Unfortunately, I've had some delays that were completely out of my control, and it doesn't look like that visit is going to happen. Needless to say, I'm quite bummed, and all I want to do right now is preheat the oven to start a batch of cookies. 


With that and as a feeble attempt to lighten my mood, I bring you my FAVORITE cookies ever. I'm not sure what it is about that combination of oats and butterscotch chips, but these have been my favorite cookies for as long as I remember. I'm not dissing on chocolate chip, but if you give me the choice, I'll pick these every time. Hopefully my mood won't damper your opinion of these cookies as they really are delicious!

Brighten your day (or maybe someone else's) and make some of these cookies. I certainly wish that I had one right now!


(Printable Recipe)

Oatmeal Scotchies
From Mom 

Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. oats
1 (12oz) pkg. butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir well to combine. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in oats and then add butterscotch chips. Loosely roll dough into balls and press down slightly once on the cookie sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges just start to look brown. Do not overbake.

4 comments:

  1. I love Oatmeal Scotchies! Sorry for the delays! Baking always makes everything better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your rough day. Hope the cookies cheered you up just a bit... I am thinking your Monster Cookies would cheer me up! But these Oatmeal Scotchies look pretty darn good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these...My family says thank you!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails