Friday, August 12, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

I am way behind the times on the cake batter trend, but I am actually okay with that. I figure that as long as I can still hop on the train that I haven't completely missed it :)

I hold a special place in my heart for rice krispie treats. As simple as they are, I have always loved them. Ask my mom. Apparently I tried to "run-away" once when I was younger but decided to come home because we were having rice krispie treats for dessert. True story. They also single-handedly helped me get through college. My roommates and I would make them in a big bowl in the microwave and dig-in with a fork. No pan or set-time included. We made them quite a bit. Movie tonight? Let's make rice crispies. Finals week? Add some m&m's. You get the idea. 
As you may imagine, when I saw the idea for cake batter rice krispie treats on Jessica's blog, I knew I had to make these. Were they good? No explanation needed, and they may have spurred a interest in other cake batter-flavored treats. Cake batter ice cream anyone? Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe)

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
From How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. butter
1 (10 oz) bag marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
6 cups rice krispies cereal
assorted sprinkles

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until the begin to melt and mix in vanilla. Add in cake mix one spoonful at a time and stir until combined. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix. Press into a baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray (I like an 8x8 or 9x9 to make them thicker) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting.

6 comments:

  1. great idea, nothing from her blog ever fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! My kids love anything cake batter flavored!

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this. Oh wow they look delicious!! Bookmarking to make very soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! These are the perfect snack/dessert. And I am ridiculously envious of your college brain. Why did I never think to make rice krispies!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun are these! I have never heard of these! Cake batter ice cream was my first cake batter item!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made cake batter pancakes a few months ago when cake batter treats started appearing everywhere, and though I haven't tried these yet, they're on my to-do list :) I just love how colorful they are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails