Tuesday, November 15, 2011

1 Step Pound (Bundt) Cake with Vanilla Glaze

Do you know what today is? The picture is a hint :)

I am usually not too up with the foodie holidays. I will usually find out it's something like National Pancake Day at 9:00PM that night. Well, thanks to The Food Librarian's montage of bundt cakes I am prepared for this holiday. It's National Bundt Day!
In all seriousness, for the past 3 years, Mary at The Food Librarian has professed her love for the bundt cake by baking 30 cakes in 30 days prior to the holiday on November 15th. That is a lot of cake! She also hosts a 'big bundt' round-up, so I thought it would be fun this year to bake along. The timing also happens to be perfect as today is also my mother's birthday. Being several states away, I will not be able to celebrate with her in person this year, so I thought I'd offer up this cake. 

The recipe for this cake comes from a co-worker. Admittedly, I am usually more of a frosting kind of gal, but this cake was good enough on its own that I actually considered skipping the glaze. Only for a moment. It was moist and dense (in a good way), and the lemon flavor comes through just a little bit from the added lemon juice. The only negative is that this recipe makes a ton of batter. I have a 15-cup bundt pan and it still rose above the edge of the pan. If you have a smaller pan, you may want to split the batter into 2 cakes.
So, I know it's the day of but join in on the bundt fun. Mary's link for the bundt round up can be found here, and I promise I won't tell if the calendar doesn't officially say November 15th. Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe)

1 Step Pound (Bundt) Cake with Vanilla Glaze
From Vince's recipe

Ingredients:
Cake:
3 sticks of butter (1-1/2 cups), softened 
3-1/2 cups flour, sifted
3 cups sugar 
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cups sour cream

Glaze:
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp. milk
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Allow all the cold ingredients to come to room temperature. Grease and lightly flour a large bundt pan or desired loaf pan(s).

Combine all of the cake ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix for 1 minute on low speed, then mix for 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes. The cake may need to bake longer than 60 minutes. When it rises completely in the middle and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, it is finished. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from the pan and place on a wired rack to cool completely. You can skip the glaze and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

For the glaze, melt the butter. Mix in vanilla and milk. Add powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until desired consistency is obtained. Pour over the cooled cake and let harden before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I love looking through the Food Librarian's and watching as she counts down to National Bundt day. Your vanilla bundt looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That glaze looks so decadent, I love a nice thick glaze on a bundt that still flows down the sides :) I just posted my bundt too, hooray for National Bundt Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I've made bundt cakes, too :D Yours look great and the icing is so beautiful as it is slowly pouring down in the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks super delicious, and I LOVE how easy it is...definitely have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails