Monday, February 6, 2012

SRC: Coconut Chicken Soup


Well, the Secret Recipe Club is back! After taking the month of January off, I am excited to be back with the group to start our February reveals. This month, my blog assignment was Culinary Adventures with Camilla. Camilla has a fun blog with a ton of different recipes with influences from all over the world. 

Since she has so many different recipes, I wanted to try something that was a little bit out of my typical comfort zone. I looked for awhile at this recipe for kadu bouranee, but as it is winter, I went with my cravings and chose this recipe for coconut chicken soup. In her post, Camilla mentions that this is a recipe that she just put together quickly from the things that she had in her kitchen. I certainly had to buy a couple things as this is actually the first time I have ever actually made anything with swiss chard. 
The recipe here is really more of a guide as Camilla does not list ingredients. I used all the ingredients she suggests, but varied amounts based on what I had and to taste. I'll list my approximate measurements below but feel free to add or vary ingredients as you prefer. For the two of us, there was plenty of soup for dinner and several days of lunch, and as most soups do, this seemed to get better and better after storing it. A hit here, and I certainly have a great new (to me) blog to check out for ethnic dishes! 

(Printable Recipe)

Coconut Chicken Soup
Adapted from Culinary Adventures with Camilla

Ingredients: 
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup fennel bulb, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 whole carrots, peeled and sliced 
1 pkg. swiss chard, leaves removed from stems and torn
3 cups baby spinach, torn
1 (14.5oz) can light coconut milk
2 cups water
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 - 1 tsp. cardamom
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (or juice from 1 lemon)
2 cups brown rice, cooked
2 Tbsp. soy sauce

Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Fluff and set aside. Boil water in a medium saucepan and add raw chicken. Boil until the chicken is cooked through. Shred with 2 forks or by mixing the hot chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer on low for about a minute. 

Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the fennel and garlic and saute until they begin to soften. Add the chicken, carrots, chard, spinach, cooked brown rice, coconut milk, water, and chicken broth. Season with spices, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the greens are wilted and the vegetables are cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.





15 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tessa. SO glad you liked the soup and tried Swiss chard for the first time! Hooray. I posted a quick link back to your post on my blog. And you will definitely have to try the Afghani pumpkin one of these day.

    http://culinary-adventures-with-cam.blogspot.com/2012/02/src-cookin-chemist-cooks-my-coconut.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We adore coconut chicken soup and yours looks wonderful, great SRC choice.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to share with you my goof. When I read the name of this recipe on the linky, I thought it said, Chocolate Chicken Soup and wondered who could take good chocolate and ruin it as well as the soup. Now, coconut is a different story. I have made something similar and it is now, one of our favorites. Good choice, especially without the chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the addition of coconut in this soup! sounds so comforting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely soup! Looks like a great dinner or lunch option...yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the looks of this soup. Perfect for a winter's day. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. Perfect for the 10" of snow on the ground here in Nebraska. Bet you don't miss that do you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup looks great! I also made coconut chicken soup, with slightly different side ingredients and loved it. Your version must have been delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great soup! Definitely a good pick for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In all likelihood, I would have chosen this recipe also. I'm a sucker for anything coconutty and anything soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pick!! I always have coconut milk on hand and love Swiss chard (so happy you tried it for the first time!) so I will have to try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe, like Katherine I always have coconut milk around, and love Swiss chard - I was going to repeat those exact words, but noticed her comment and well, great minds definitely think alike! ;-)

    Good to see the SRC back! I am on group D, and it will take almost 3 more weeks for our reveal...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE recipes that serve as a guide but let you put your own twist on it. This looks perfect for this. And delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely. I adore anything with coconut in it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails