Thursday, April 26, 2012

Guacamole and White Bean Dip

One of our favorite restaurants makes this appetizer called Guac-a-toni. The restaurant is a pizza joint, and the Guac-a-toni is an Italianfied take on guacamole. They serve it with a cracker-thin pizza crust baked a thin layer of crispy cheese. I can tell you (unashamedly) that I would be completely satisfied with only this as my meal!

I tell you that to tell you this. Cinco de Mayo is quickly approaching, and basil (the Italian side) seemingly makes a huge addition to a typical Mexican guacamole!  

This recipe comes from Sarah at 20something Cupcakes. She first posted it back around the Superbowl, but trust me, you do not need a special occasion to make this dish. It has the standard line up for guacamole - avocado, lemon/lime juice, salt, cilantro, and shallots/garlic with an extra kick from basil and cannellini beans.Yum!
Someone send me a bag of chips, and I'll be set. Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe)

Guacamole and White Bean Dip 
Adapted from 20something Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 cans (15 oz each) cannellini beans (white beans)/, drained and rinsed
4 avocados
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2-3 shallots, finely minced
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive-oil in a pan over medium-low heat. You will use the garlic to make a garlic-infused oil. Crush the garlic cloves with the side of a chef's knife, remove the dried wrapping, and add them to the oil. Cook bringing to a gentle sizzle, turning the heat down if necessary to keep the garlic from burning. Continue to sizzle for about 10 minutes or until the garlic is golden. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and throw it out. 

Add the beans to the oil while on low heat. Cook until the beans absorb the oil and start to become crispy on the outside. Mash with a spoon and allow them to cook for about 5-10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and cool.

Add the peeled, pitted avocado to a large bowl. Drizzle with the lime juice. Add the shallots, herbs, and beans. Mash together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delicious new take on an old favorite. it's perfect for picnics or game day. I hope you have a fabulous weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tessa!

    This is Joy of "Hot Oven, Warm Heart"- you probably don't remember me, as I took a long hiatus from blogging, but I fondly remember our correspondence during the days of SMS. I just jumped back into the world of food blogging, and I'd love it if you'd stop by whenever you get a chance! I hope you're doing well, and still cooking/baking up a storm- that dip looks absolutely delicious, by the way. I'll definitely be bookmarking it for football season :) Last time we were in touch, you were just completing a move... I hope you're settled and happy in your new home!

    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Joy
    http://hotovenwarmheart.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! We have gotten settled into the new place and are definitely loving it here. Hope everything has been good in your world since we last talked! The muffins in your blog post look amazing. Love those sentimental recipes.

      Delete
  3. Every time I see a recipe for guacamole it looks so good and I curse myself for still not finding a way to like avocados. Love this variation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails