Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Triple Berry Crisp

With this blog and simply just feeding the two of us, I have spent my fair share of time in the kitchen. Cooking is something I enjoy. It's fun, it is stress relief, and the best part is you (*usually) get to enjoy the results of your experiment. While I've cooked/baked for several years, I almost always follow a recipe. I blame the pharmacist in me. Too Type A. Too precise.

I say that to tell you this. I made this crisp recipe on a whim, mostly on my own, with only a little recipe inspiration. Certainly, it is hard to screw up a fruit crisp, but I am still excited to report that I am getting to the stage of spontaneity in the kitchen. In fact, this crisp came about because the grocery store was out of zucchini (yes, I had to buy zucchini), and the berries there were so good that you could smell them as you walked by the stand. Recently, I have made a couple more dishes where I've found myself inspired by an ingredient, and I hope to share them soon.
Back to the crisp. Who doesn't love fruit crisp/crumbles? Ripe, juicy fruit at its peak combine with a topping that is really nothing more than an oat-filled streusel. I made ours in ramekins for individual-sized servings. As much as I like crisp, leftover crisp just isn't quite the same, and a whole pan is just too much for 2 people. The fruit in question here is strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, but you can really use any fruit that speaks to you (or needs to be used up in the fridge). I'm sure peaches or other stone fruit would be wonderful here as well. So grab some ice cream (or whipped cream if you prefer) and make this before berries are gone for the summer. Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe) 

Triple Berry Crisp
Loosely inspired by Pioneer Woman

Ingredients: 
2 cups total of raspberries, blueberries, and chopped strawberries
1 tsp. cornstarch
2-3 Tbsp. sugar (more or less depending on how sweet the fruit is)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
heaping 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
2 Tbsp. cold butter
vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease ramekins.

In a medium bowl, combine the washed berries, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla. Stir and divide evenly between 2 ramekins. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and oats. Cut the butter into the mixture and combine until crumbs form. You can add more butter and/or more oats/flour until it is the desired consistency. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit in the ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is light brown and crisp. Serve while still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Cooking is really good activity for stress relief. Wonderful explained recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really really good! My sister just gave us a whole bunch of raspberries from her garden, and I know I've got some blueberries around here somewhere! P.S. - it was a pleasure being assigned your blog this month for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crumbles and crisps are close to my heart. My hubby doesn't care much for sweets though they make easy, always delicious desserts or treats if unexpected guests arrive. I make a large batch of my favorite streusel-like topping (often adding nuts are around, leftover granola, and cinnamon) by pulsing it a few times in the food processor. Freeze, and voila! No matter the season, easy enough to use fresh or frozen, defrosted fruit, sprinkle with topping, and pop in the oven. Baking some topping in the toaster oven livens up ice cream, pudding, or even yogurt. Hope your residency/boards went well. It's been 30 years since I passed mine, yikes! Fulfilling career though loving volunteer work and the luxury of time. Ty for a lovely blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails