Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas

What do you do when you find yourself with an one day harvest of 12 eggplants? I am not kidding. We picked 12 of those babies from our little garden this past Saturday, and the plants are still going. There are several more little ones growing, and a ton more purple blooms on the plants. If you have any good eggplant recipes, I could sure use some!

I ran across the recipe for these enchiladas on pinterest and was instantly hooked by the picture. The recipe was posted by Natalie at Perry's Plate, but she originally adapted it from the book, The Roasted Vegetable. Knowing that I love roasted veggies and that anything Mexican related is a hit with the hubbs, I was sure these would be a hit. 
I made a couple of changes to make these work for us. The first was to add an eggplant. It wasn't called for in the ingredient list (I swore it was previous to re-reading the recipe), but given the previously mentioned surplus, I chopped one up and threw it in with the rest of the veggies. The second change was to switch up the layering. The recipes calls for 3 layers in either a 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan. I only have an 8x8-inch pan, and by the end of the second layer, I was running out of room. I ended up leaving off the 3rd row of veggies, and we just ate them as a side. Not sure if using the 9x9-inch pan would leave you enough room or if I just roasted up too many veggies (entirely possible).

The verdit - vegetable deliciousness. How can roasted vegetables combined with salsa and cheese end up bad? Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe)

Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
Adapted from Perry's Plate and The Roasted Vegetable

Ingredients:
1 poblano chile, cut into thin matchsticks
2 red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 red onion, halved and slivered
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
1 small eggplant, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
2 cups salsa
2 ounces of baby spinach
9-10 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded part-skim cheddar cheese (Cabot makes a great reduced fat kind)
sour cream and green onions for garnish, if desired
nonstick spray 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Place chopped vegetables through the eggplant into a large bowl. Add oil, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared roasting pan. Roast for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender and begin to brown in spots. Stir or shake the pan every 10 minutes for even roasting. After the vegetables are finished, remove the pan from the oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pan with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, combine the salsa and chopped cilantro. Spread 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture into the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of tortillas, tearing them as needed to cover the salsa completely. Top with 1/3 of the vegetables, a handful of spinach, and 1/3 of the cheese. Make a second layer with tortillas, salsa, vegetables, spinach and cheese. If space allows, repeat a 3rd time. If not, leave teh vegetables and spinach off the 3rd layer and eat the rest as a side. Cover with foil. 

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Let sit for 5 minutes then cut into squares. Serve with garnishes if desired.

Yield: 4-5 servings

8 comments:

  1. I'd love this, definitely bookmarking it for the next time I'm eating dinner without the picky husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this! Thanks for linking up and I wish you the best of luck using up all of that eggplant!! I plan on posting a CSA Wednesday post this week highlighting tomatoes and eggplant. Hopefully that might give you a few more ideas! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic. I need to give this a try sometime. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to make this since I saw it on natalie's blog and I'm so happy you reminded me of them! They look great! I'm totally jealous of your harvest, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not mind 12 eggplants descending on me. I do have 11 mangoes.

    I have been making eggplant Parmesan and associated recipes where I fried almost in a dry pan to avoid the grease. They were really crispy on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like making curries with eggplant, or baked eggplant parmesan- I bread the slices as usual and then just bake until crispy instead of frying. Yum!
    This recipe looks amazing, as well- thanks for sharing! My husband will love it :-) Thanks for using Cabot cheese!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely insane. I love roasted vegetables. I am going to have to look for that book. Yum. I love eggplant very jealous your garden produced so many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails