Thursday, July 30, 2009

Southwest Chicken Skillet

I made this recipe a couple weeks ago when we were having my brother over for dinner after work. As long as I remember to thaw the chicken, it is another delicious, quick meal. We got this recipe from my mother-in-law when we got married. I do not know for sure where she got it, but I do know that it is one of my husband's favorite meals from back home.











When I make it, I usually double the sauce that goes over the chicken. It's a simple mixture of salsa and dijon mustard, and it's always good to have a little extra. The ingredients for this are just as simple as the recipe itself. You probably have most of them already - the exception possibly being the fresh cilantro and green onions. Try it!

Southwest Chicken Skillet (with sauce ingredients doubled)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 c. prepared salsa
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 c. (4 oz) shredded monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. chopped green onions
Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and salt over chicken breasts. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and garlic. Cook 5 minutes. Turn chicken over.
Combine salsa and mustard. Spoon over and around chicken. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle cheese, cilantro, and green onions over the chicken. Cook 1-2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails