Saturday, August 15, 2009

Baked Egg Rolls

It is not a big secret my husband likes Chinese food. Really LIKES Chinese food. We've been trying to make more recipes at home, in part, to make them a little bit healthier. We've made a couple of stir-fry dishes that have turned out well for the most part. Some better than others, but hey, you live, you learn.

I was crusing through recipes several weeks ago when I stumbled upon this receipe. I found it here on allrecipes.com, but I think the original recipe came from Taste of Home. I was pretty excited abou this recipe. We both really like egg rolls, but I really can't bring myself to fry anything. By the time I get done cooking with all that oil, I really don't care to eat whatever I was making. After I finally figured out that egg roll dough was next to the fresh herbs in the grocery store (who would know to look there?), we were set to give these a go.

The results were pretty good. You can definately tell the difference between a baked and fried egg roll, but myself, my brother, and my husband we still ate the whole batch. Now next time I just have to remember to get some sweet and sour sauce... Enjoy!


Baked Egg Rolls (Taste of Home)
2 c. grated carrots
1 (14.5 oz) can bean sprouts, drained
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped green onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2-1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
2 c. finely diced cooked chicken
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 pinch cayenne pepper
16 egg roll wrappers

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add the first seven ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, adn cayenne pepper until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Spray tops of egg rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails