Saturday, October 17, 2009

Black-Bean Smothered Sweet Potatoes


This is another one of the quick meals that I have been enjoying while the hubby is away. When I found this recipe here on Eatingwell.com, the ingredients immediately were added to my grocery store list. We used to make loaded baked potatoes for supper when I was growing up, and the substitution of a sweet potato for a normal one makes it that much better in my book.



This is a pretty quick meal as written, but I have this great microwave baked-potato bag that was given to us for our wedding that cuts the time down to under ten minutes. I don't know where the bag came from, but I can tell you that if you find one you MUST buy it. I can stick two potatoes the microwave and have them completely cooked in about 5 minutes! Perfect for those nights when I work until 9:00!

The recipe is written for 2 servings. I cut everything in half except for the tomato when I made it for myself, and it worked great. Enjoy!


Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes - adapted from eatingwell.com
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed
1 medium tomato
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil (at most)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. salt (can leave out - salt with the canned beans!)
2 Tbsp. non-fat sour cream
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro

Wash and dry potatoes. Put in the microwave bag, and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Alternately, can bake at 425 degrees for about an hour or microwave without the bag for 12-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander, and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high until just heated through, about 2-3 minutes.

When cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center, and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

Sweet Potato on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails