Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Granola


It's already the middle of October, and pumpkin recipes seem to be everywhere right now. I, too, have already joined in the pumpkin madness, making these delicious cookies a couple weeks ago. My issue with these recipes is that many of them call for 1 c. of pumpkin puree, thus leaving me wondering what I should do with the half can of pumpkin sitting in the fridge? The answer absolutely is to make this granola from Maria at Two Peas and Their Pod

I seem to be on a granola kick lately (I've made 3 different recipes in the last month), but this is absolutely the best granola recipe I've ran across thus far. The spices, pumpkin, and maple syrup combine to give it a great "fall" flavor, but my favorite part has to be the chunks.The pumpkin puree and applesauce work as binders to make the oats hold together giving you larger chunks of granola pieces. Perfect.


 I stayed pretty true to Maria's recipe, only adding about 1/2 c. of almonds to the oat mixture before coating it with the wet ingredients. If you've got that random partial can of pumpkin sitting in your fridge, please make this granola. You can always bring some to me if you end up with too much =) Enjoy!


(Printable Recipe)

Pumpkin Granola
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

Ingredients:
5 c. rolled oats
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (can make your own)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. whole almonds
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. pepitas (or pumpkin seeds)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a small bowl, combine the oats, spices, salt, and almonds. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into the oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries and pepitas. Let it cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt or milk or just enjoy it plain as a snack =)

2 comments:

  1. It's that pumpkin time of year!! I've never heard of pumpkin granola, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness; it's been awhile since I had a chance to see what you've been up to in the kitchen... so glad I stopped by and did not miss out on this recipe! This granola is definitely on my "TO DO" list after seeing the recipe here. Love that it has no added fat (aside from the nuts).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails