Sunday, October 3, 2010

SMS: Coconut Pecan Frosting on Brownie Bites


This week's SMS was hosted by Eliana at A Chica Bakes and she chose Coconut Pecan Frosting. In case you are wondering, this is that wonderful ooey gooey frosting that is traditionally found on German chocolate cakes. Interestingly, the book doesn't contain a German chocolate cake recipe, and for the first time since I've been a member, our weekly recipe mandated some creativity unless, of course, you wanted to make the frosting and just eat it with a spoon (and I briefly considered this...)

I knew that I really wanted to participate this week because I love most things coconut, but I had the worst mental block about how to use it. The only thing I could think of was German chocolate cake. Finally this afternoon, I called my mom, and we brainstormed for awhile. She thought that it should be served with something chocolate, so I finally settled on brownie bites. Not too different than chocolate cake but just different enough =) I ended up using Melissa's brownie recipe that we made with the group back in July as I had great success with it back then.

As for the frosting, it was just as gooey and delicious as it should be. It really was a pretty simple recipe. The only thing I wondered about was how long I really should cook it until it looked "thickened." I ended up cooking it until it coated my spoon, and it turned out great. I was a little disappointed in my brownies this time around. They rose up really high while they were cooking and had almost a little "air bubble" in them. They still taste great, so I just filled the air pocket with the frosting and called it good. Not sure why they raised up so much since they didn't do that last time? 


A big thanks to Eliana for hosting this week! Be sure to stop by the SMS blogroll today to see everyone's creations. I know I'm looking forward to see how everyone used their frosting! 


12 comments:

  1. Those look so cute...and totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is YUM overused yet? Because YUM! Love the little brownie bites with the coconut pecan frosting. I had the same issue wondering how long to cook until thickened. Yours are just picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brownies are the way to go! I love the little bite size ones you did..so perfect for popping right into your mouth! Im glad your mama was able to help you out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brownie bites are such a great dessert. The coconut frosting on these takes them to the next level. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea with the brownie bites....soo cute! They look delicious...love the pecan on top =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This frosting with brownies sounds delicious. I really love this frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, gooey and good for sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally with you on the lacking instructions this week Tessa - I too wondered what exactly "thickened" meant. Oh well, looks like it still turned out really well for you. Quite a few of the bakers made brownies this week, and you've all got me really craving them now. I have no willpower around brownies though so I'm going to hope the craving passes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The frosting looks so good. And with the pecan on top, it's too yummy to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brownie bits look amazing! I love brownie bites!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails