Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos

Well, it happened. Something I never though I'd see in my lifetime. 

I. Forgot. To. Eat.

Seriously, I am typically not one to miss meals. My stomach is quite the time keeper, even letting me know a couple hours early (most of the time) that it is time to eat. Lunch at 10:30AM, why not? Nonetheless, there I was perched on my couch studying BCPS material, and before I knew it, it was 4:30 in the afternoon and I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Who knew? Apparently the gastrointestinal section (comically enough) really was that enthralling.
Anyway, forgetting to eat doesn't have much to do with this post other than the fact that there is no way you'll forget about dinner with this cooking in the crockpot. Mexican food, in some way, shape, or form, almost always makes it onto our weekly menu, and this is a great way to do it fuss free. Chicken slow cooked in beer and spices only to be shredded and mixed with cheese. Where do I sign up? Bonus points that it is perfectly acceptable to finish the rest of the beer :) 
This recipe is from Jessica at How Sweet It Is, and it really is nothing short of genius. Make it next time you know you'll be rushed around dinner time. You certainly won't regret it, just don't forget the taco toppings. Enjoy!

(Printable Recipe)

Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos
From How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
3/4 cup beer (I used Blue Moon)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1-1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup freshly grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
taco shells or tortillas
Toppings: Greek yogurt (or sour cream), avocado, cilantro, salsa, onion, lettuce

In a bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, caynne pepper, salt and pepper. Measure the 3/4 cup of beer and stir 1-1/2 tablespoons of spices into the beer. 

Place the chicken in the crockpot. Pour the beer mixture over the top. Cook on low for 4-6 hours (mine was done closer to 4 hours). The time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.

When cooked, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred. Do not drain the liquid in the crockpot. Add the chicken back to the liquid and mix until combined (there shouldn't be much leftover liquid, although the chicken will be moist). Leave in the crockpot to cook for an additional 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the crockpot and immediately mix in the shredded cheese. Assemble the tacos as desired.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could forget to eat a meal or two! HA! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails