Monday, August 6, 2012

SRC: Pork Fajitas with Cherry Salsa

I bring you this break from the Olympics and (newly) studying for an additional board certification exam to bring you another SRC post! My blog this month was The Cookaholic Wife written by Nichole. Nichole has been inventing recipes since the first time she cooked, and I spent a lot of time reading through many of the posts on her blog. With a fun mix of meals and sweets, there are a lot of great recipes!

Truthfully, I was all set to make this Spicy Basil Chicken when Nicole posted these Pork Fajitas with Cherry Salsa late last week. Fajitas are my absolute favorite meal, and there was no way I was passing on this recipe.
Speaking of cherries, while they are one of the quintessential summer fruits, I usually am not that into them. It is not that I don't like the flavor (love them), I just can't handle eating them and then spitting out the seeds. Pitting cherries just to eat them seems a little drastic, so I usually just don't do it (that and we don't own a cherry pitter). A couple weeks ago, I ran across a tip to use a sturdy straw as a cherry pitter, so I tried it out with this recipe. I used a strong plastic straw from one of those reusable cups, and it worked pretty well, although I think using a sturdy (ex: thick) straw would be essential to this method.
Anyway, back to the fajitas. These definitely lived up to their expectations! I was not able to locate chipotle chili powder, so I just used traditional chili powder which worked fine here. My only other change was to swap out cheddar cheese for monterey jack. Thanks Nichole! I know these are going on my "make again" list!

(Printable Recipe)

Pork Fajitas with Cherry Salsa
Adapted from The Cookaholic Wife

Ingredients:
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
zest of 1 lime
1 lb. pork tenderloin, visible fat trimmed, cut into thin strips
1/2-1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned 
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
8 tortilla shells

Cherry Salsa:
1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
4 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder

In a small bowl, use a spoon to mash the salt and garlic together until a paste forms. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, and chili powder. Add the pork strips, and mix until combined. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the salsa and toss until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Heat a large skillet and oil over medium heat. When hot, add the pork strips and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the pork to a plate and keep warm. Add the red and green pepper and onion to the skillet. Cook until crisp-tender. Return the pork to the skillet and stir until heated through.

Place pork, peppers, and onion in each tortilla shell. Top with cherry salsa, monterey jack cheese, and cilantro. 




5 comments:

  1. Your cherry salsa sounds amazing, love the flavors of cilantro and then the heat of the chili powder with the sweet cherries, YUM!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Chicken Satay Noodle Salad.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your exam! That cherry salsa sounds majorly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruit flavors go so well with pork, for some reason. This combo sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cherries go so well with pork. duck too! i made a duck cherry dish a while back and it was heaven - I'll try pork next time though.

    p.s. it's okay cherries aren't your favorite - more for me!!
    happy src reveal from a group D member!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails